Thursday, September 23, 2010

Land of the Free

It's not often when I go on a rant. When I do step up on my soapbox, it’s because something has genuinely upset me. Such is the case now. A couple days ago, my disappointment in my government reached a level even I wasn’t aware it could hit when Republicans banded together to stop the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, denying thousands of men and women the right to be themselves while fighting for the freedom and protection of our country.

I don’t understand how it is that so many politicians “serving” the people don’t have an understanding of, or maybe have never even read, the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights. As stated in the Declaration of Independence, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness…” These are the basic principals of America. Yet, many politicians have fallen so far from understanding these truths, they’ve corrupted, insulted, and have made a mockery of what has always made The United States a strong and unique country.

I have to say, the state of things here have reached a sad point when a pop star is doing more to bring awareness for equality than any of our representatives in government. And I don’t say this to take anything away from Lady Gaga. In fact, I applaud her for stepping up to make a difference. What I mean is, it shouldn’t have to fall on her shoulders. It belongs on the shoulders of our representatives in Congress. America is a diverse country. That’s something to be celebrated, not segregated.

What politicians don’t seem to understand is when they made the decision to represent the people, with it came the responsibility to represent ALL people. Just as American soldiers aren’t given the liberty to protect who they want, but selflessly defend all Americans and our freedom, politicians don’t have the right to pick and choose who they represent. And they certainly don’t have the right to deny any American citizen freedom, which is exactly what they’re doing in not allowing homosexual soldiers to openly be themselves. If those in Washington took a long hard look at our soldiers, maybe then they could see what it truly means to serve the people.

I find it beyond shameful that politicians like John McCain would so disrespect men and women who at this very moment are fighting for his safety, to protect him and all the homes he can’t keep track of, and he can’t even extend them the humanity of letting them be who they are. Homosexual military members, like all military members, fight for us to live in a land where we can be free. And how are they repaid? By bigotry and discrimination. And despite this, everyday they continue to risk their lives for people who refuse to grant them the most basic of human rights to be treated with respect and dignity.

This country is supposed to be a home of the free and land of the brave. And I still believe it is. But it’s only free because of every single man and woman in our military fighting side by side to keep it so. And the brave, those are all of our military people and each individual who continues to stand strong and be proud of who they are.

And now, since I know everyone’s not used to seeing such seriousness out of me, I’ll turn things over to Jon Stewart, who summed up the despicable actions of Congress in the way only he’s capable of.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Are We Run by A**holes?
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party

2 comments:

  1. Hi S.J.! Nice post. I rarely respond to anything political, but in this case I'm feeling hot, so I'm going to rant a bit too if you don't mind. *grin* Between this bullsh*t and the Prop 8 bullsh*t I don't know what to think. To say yes, you can fight and die for our country, but you can't be openly homosexual doing it is taking away the freedom of these men and women to be themselves! Ugh! Did you read what they argued about Prop 8? About marriage being defined by the ability to procreate? *rolling my eyes* Well, I'm not having any more babies. Should I sign the divorce papers now or later? It's all ridiculous! I love Jon Stewart and he's right, we are run by a**holes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle, feel free to rant all you want! I agree with everything you said. In my humble opinion, what the government is doing with DADT and forcing men and women to stay silent is also a blatant violation of freedom of speech. Could you imagine if a private corporation tried to pull this discrimination? It'd be lawsuit heaven!

    And yep, I did hear what those fools said with Prop 8 and I took immense personal offense to it. So if following their opinion, heterosexual couples with fertility problems shouldn't marry, neither should couples past child bearing age, or those who opt to not have children. Oh, and of course, it's impossible for children to be born outside of wedlock. *rolls eyes* It blows my mind that they can't hear how illogical their words are while they're speaking.

    Wow, I think I just went on another mini rant! But I can't help it. All of this gets me so fired up! I'm glad you liked the post and Jon Stewart. That mans rocks!

    ReplyDelete