Sunday, April 7, 2013

An update on TO THE OTHER SIDE

Hello, everyone! Wow, have things been busy for me lately! But it's all been a good kind of busy, so you won't hear any complaints from me. If anything, I've got nothing but good news to share!

You guys may recall me mentioning from time to time, the M/M fantasy novel I was working on and turned over to MLR Press, TO THE OTHER SIDE. Well, it looks like it's found a home there. Hooray! Edits are going to start soon on it, and from what my editor said, we're looking at around June of this year for a possible release month. Don't have a specific day yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to post it!

I know a lot of folks don't know what to expect from this novel, because it's a different genre than my contemporaries with the Conquest series, my paranormals with the Instincts series, and even my historical with OF HONOR AND LOVE. So because it's a bit different, I thought I'd talk a little bit about it, and even share some inspiration.

A dear friend on Facebook mentioned one day that I should write a story with a witch. Almost as soon as she said that, a figure stepped forward in my head and I knew exactly who he was; he was my witch. I also knew, I would write his story. Along with him came another figure, his partner, and together, their story started unfolding in my mind. When I got the chance to start working on TO THE OTHER SIDE, it actually went very quickly. Well, for me since it usually takes me months to finish a first draft. But both characters were so strong, and along with them, they brought a host of other characters, humans and otherwise, and they carried me along through their tale.

By the time I reached The End, I had a story that extended across two worlds, our own modern world and a second world called Terra (a more traditional, medieval based fantasy world), that was a love story with an interracial couple since my witch, Bryson, is also Native American, and Garrett, his love interest, is Caucasian, and along with fantasy elements, contains an underlying environmental theme. All of these elements are interwoven in the story, but throughout it all, the love story between Bryson and Garrett remains at the heart.

Like I often do, I went searching for images of guys who could fit for what I imagined Bryson and Garrett to look like. Rarely do I find any real life images who look like my characters, but I actually scored pretty well for Bryson and Garrett. Sadly, these models won't be on the cover, since these aren't stock images. I don't even know who they are, but in these particular shots of these men, they look a lot like how I envision Bryson and Garrett appearing in the story.

My witch and Gatekeeper, Bryson Summers



My biologist and environmentalist, Garrett Evergard


Not bad, huh ;-) I think they're a fun couple in the story, and I hope everyone who decides to give my first foray into writing gay fantasy, will like them, too. I've loved the fantasy genre ever since I was a little girl, so now having my first fantasy themed story getting published is very exciting for me. And I can say that this story is the first of what will probably be three books, because there's at least two supporting characters who I'd really love to write a story on.

And so, there you go! A little more info on TO THE OTHER SIDE! Hope it's all sounding good so far!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! These are truly good news. And to think that June isn't that far away either.

    The world(s) sounds really interesting. I can't wait for the blurb and cover to be revealed.

    Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm excited about it, so it makes me happy to hear you like how the story sounds, too :-) When my editor said she was thinking June, I sat back to count the months in my head, and I thought, "Oh! That's only two months away!" lol!

      Once edits start, I'll be sure to post the blurb, and when I get the cover art for it, I'll share it right away. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. I'm warming up to do a full blown Happy Dance in June YAY !!!

    Ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Thank you! I do appreciate happy dances, and I'll be joining you in one!

      Delete
  3. So, we have singing and witchery to look forward to. Heeheehee!!! Makes me giddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! You got it! It makes me happy that you're excited for my next two upcoming stories :D Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I know it will be brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much *hugs* I really hope folks will think it's a good read :-) I know I loved writing it and the guys who are in it.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait! I love your stories so I am sure I will love this one as well. Having the pictures of those men in my mind will help too. They are HOT!!

    Side note: Just finished Adapting Instincts. Great HEA!! Daniel is still the best!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very, very much! I'm thrilled to hear you enjoy my stories :D I hope you'll like this new one. And I agree on the hotness of these guys. When I came across those two, I was super excited to find good visual matches to my Bryson and Garrett.

      And many thanks about Adapting Instincts! I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Daniel is always fun to work with in the stories, lol! Ryu has a little unfinished business yet in the series, so I've been considering writing a novella with him and Daniel as the leads again :-)

      Delete